This is a simple and comforting dish and is suitable for vegetarians and vegans. The cabbage in this dish is high in fibre and l-glutamine (contributing to tissue healing) so is great for your digestive system.
The garlic, herbs and iodine (in the seaweed) are anti-microbials (anti-fungal, anti bacteria), the shiitake mushrooms have been shown in studies to be immune boosting. But most importantly, this soothing broth tastes so good and is a wonderfully warming comfort food.
Have it on it’s own or add it to soup, sauces or other dishes such as stir-fry’s for added flavour and vitamin power.
- 2 litres of water (filtered if possible)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 red onion quartered or white onion with skins
- 1 whole garlic bulb crushed (leave sit for 15 minutes before using)
- 300g of shredded cabbage
- A handful of fresh herbs e.g. parsley, sage, rosemary, oregano (3 tsp if dried)
- 4 chopped and washed carrots,
- 1 chopped and washed leek
- 4 chopped and washed stalks of celery
- 100g fresh or dried shiitake mushrooms (optional)
- 30 g dried seaweed (optional)
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Optional: 2- 4 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- Simply add everything to a large pot. Bring to a boil then low simmer, with the lid o, or slightly cracked for 6+ hours.
- Once everything has been cooked down, strain the liquid into a large bowl.
- Pour broth into glass jars or jug and for storage in the fridge or freezer, store within 15 mins
- Use within 5 days if refrigerating, stores in freezer according to manufacturing guidelines
To rewarm, reheat in a pan on a low heat or add to soups or sauces.